In WordPress Basics Part 5 you will learn how to set up blog’s Discussion Settings, eg. how to deal with blog’s comments in WP Dashboard.
Log into WP Dashboard. Find on left side Settings section and click Discussion.:
Check or leave blank boxes as shown above and sescribed below.:
- Default article settings. These are basics settings so check all three boxes.
- Other comment settings. These are more advaced settings. Choose what you want and what is the best for your’s blog.
- E-mail me whenever. An e-mail will be sent to you every time someone adds a comment on the blog and/or a comment waits for moderation.
- Before a comment appears on the blog. Choose if you want to approve each comment manually.
- Comment Moderation. This gives you ability to automatically block comment (until its approved), if it contains given number of links, word(s) or e-mail address, IP address. But you have to create this list of “unwanted” words, IP’s or email address’s.
- Comment Blacklist. So, you created this “unwanted list” – these comments will be marked as spam.
Next go to the settings for Avatars.:
- Check or leave blank Avatar Display. Displays profile pictures. Check this box if you want the avatars to appear on your blog. These are small pictures displayed next to the author’s example. Entry or comment. They are automatically loaded if the person putting comment has avatar.
- Maximum Rating. Highest permitted category. You can decide which categories of avatars will be displayed. This gives the possibility to exclude avatars classified as such. “Adult”.
- Default Avatar. The default profile picture. If a person posting a comment is not your avatar, it appears the image what you choose as the default.
- Save Changes. At the end, as always, click “Save Changes” to save all settings.